On Friday, March 7th, I was able to spend some quality time with 120 of my closest Educational Assistant friends. That Friday was a division Professional Learning Day in which all PSD teachers and support staff were in meetings and professional learning opportunities. It was my pleasure to create a half-day learning event for each group surrounding PSD’s work in Google Apps for Education.
This innovative, edgy and fun event was title The Google Workout and although no specialized clothing was needed, our participating Educational Assistants had their digits twirling and their craniums energized!
Here are some of the things that we worked on:
- filling out a table on a Google document from a link
- how to sign into Google with their psdblogs accounts
- where to find Google Drive
- creating a Google document and sharing it with a colleague
- understanding the different publishing and permission settings
- the importance of looking at revision history when collaborating on a document
- how to translate information in English into another language
- usage rights and citations for images and where to find great image sources
- how to use the research tool in Google documents and presentations
- creating a simple Google presentation collaboratively
- looking at add-on features like Chrome apps (like VoiceNote, Creately, InstaGrok, Pixlr Editor) and extensions (like Readabiloity, SpeakIt!, TLDR, Save to Google Drive)
All in all, it was great to work with two groups of EA’s who used laptops and chromebooks to engage themselves in the Google environment. I continue to look forward to working with them throughout the year!
Nicole Lakusta is a Curriculum Educational Technology Facilitator with the Learning Services department. She loves to see people use technology in innovative ways and is excited to see students engaged in their learning with these tools at hand.