New for 2013! This year, due to Ontario’s devastating shortage of apples, The Great Big Crunch will be extended to include all locally grown, crunchy fruits or vegetables. Now you and your students can choose what to crunch on March 7th!
The 2013 Great Big Crunch is Thursday, March 7 at 2:30pm E.S.T – but you can crunch anytime! Don’t forget to register with us; we want to count your crunches towards the grand total no matter when you do it or what you crunch.
In classrooms, gymnasiums, recreational facilities, homes, work places and communities across Canada, online…and beyond!
- To promote, celebrate and enjoy healthy snacking
- To highlight availability of local produce all year round
- To use fruits and vegetables as the centerpiece for activities on cooking and tasting, nutrition, soil and composting, sustainability, community development and more!
- To celebrate Nutrition Month!
Who can participate?
Students, teachers and individuals across the country interested in learning more about locally grown fruits and vegetables and participating in a cross Canada salute to healthy and local eating.
How to participate:
Once you’ve registered with us,
- Download FoodShare’s Great Big Crunch classroom activities, or develop your own.
- Spread the word by emailing your friends, colleagues and networks, or use Facebook or Twitter (#greatbigcrunch) to gain momentum for the event.
- Purchase locally grown fruits or vegetables (or both!) for the Great Big Crunch from your local green grocer, farmer’s market or supermarket.
- At 2:30pm E.S.T on Thursday, March 7 2013, run the Great Big Crunch in your school or classroom and enhance your students’ understanding of our food system while having fun at the same time!
- Share, share, share! You could see your Great Big Crunch photos, activities or stories on our website by emailing them email@example.com. In your email, please indicate that you’ve read and agree with the conditions outlined in our FoodShare Media Release Form.
- Join us on Twitter and send us a picture of your Crunch Face via Twitter @FoodShareTO #greatbigcrunch or post it to our Facebook page here