This year was a success in many ways. As always, we continue to reflect on how ways we can modify Micro Village to improve next year! Part of this reflection is through the Venture Annual Reports. While creating these reports, facilitators assist owners/mangers and employees in reviewing the year through the creation of an annual profit/loss statement, and examing their success at reaching the venture goals, which were set earlier in the year. With this feedback, all members of the venture begin to look forward to being more successful next year. It is important to realize that success is not only reflected in the bottom line, but is also reflected in how they have grown as individuals and through their contributions to the community. Many ventures contributed to our community beyond the business of their business.
- Pet Heaven was able to expose many members of the public to animals that were looking for a forever home via SCARS Animal Rescue, Edmonton
- Helping Hands did mutiple community service activities to enhance the playground and pick up the spirits of others
- Micro Bank sold Teddy Bears for the Stollery and raised 500MB which converted to $137.50 CA!
In addition to reflecting on their business, as a whole, every employee was given an annual performance evaluation. In these evaluations, managers, assisted by the facilitator, noted the strengths of each employee. In an effort to move learning forward, managers also noted areas for growth and discussed ways that improvement could occur. Finally, employees had the opportunity to give feedback both on their performance and the job itself.
To celebrate the successful year, Micro Village held its 2nd Annual Micro Village Community Fair. This is our way of closing up business and saying good bye. Each venture designed an activity for the members of the Micro Village to enjoy during our last market day. This day is closed to visitors as it is a time for the students to enjoy themselves visiting ventures and participating in the games/activities. It seemed that all students had a great time as they wandered from venture to venture and enjoyed the free activities.
This time of year is also a time to give thanks to those that have supported Micro Village through the year. We wish to publicly acknowledge and thank the following:
- The Spruce Grove Examiner & Marcia Love for their wonderful coverage of Micro Village specifically, and Parkland Village School, in general
- The Spruce Grove & District Chamber of Commerce – Dianne Pilla, Membership & Events Coordinator, Brenda Johnson, President & CEO
- Officer Hoffman, Parkland County Peace Officer, as a mentor for the Parkland Patrol
- Mrs. Armishaw, Mrs. Bagnel, & Mrs. Kitura for their support of the Italian Bistro
- Mr. deBoer for assisting with birdhouse building in Pet Heaven
- SCARS Rescue, from Edmonton, for bringing out adoptable pets in support of Pet Heaven
- Nina McLaughlin for sharing her animal rescue expertise for a second year in a row
- Parkland Village School Council for their unwavering support of Micro Village
- The Parkland Village School Community
Well the year has wound up with a little sadness, but all are looking forward to next year with anticipation. It will be just a little bit different and a little bit better, as we continue to grow. If you are interested in supporting Micro Village, or know of anyone who may be, please don’t hesitate to contact the school at 780 962-8121. Have a restful summer.