Check out what is happening in May by checking our our May 2016 Newsletter. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact the school. Also, reminder that the most current calendar of events can be found on the website or on the app for your mobile device.
Connecting with students in other communities, helps students gain new perspectives and gives them a global perspective. We can connect with other classes through skype, twitter, google hangouts and our blogs. Today we kicked off Global Read Aloud in grade 4! We are reading the novel Fish in a Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt. We started off by listening to the author read chapter one to us and then we predicted what we think will happen in the book on our padlet. We connected with @arissclass at Greystone, @millgrove4H at Millgrove, @room_ten from Manitoba. The purpose of the Global Read Aloud is to connect with classrooms all over the world and talk about the same novel. It is a great way to get student to have dialogue about what we are learning and get excited about language arts. The best thing about connecting with other students is that we hear questions like “Can I write more?” or “I love reading all these predictions”. Kids are reading and writing (which is the goal), but they are having fun so they enjoy doing it! Below is a video of how engaged the students are while they are writing and reading the predictions on the padlet.
Check out our October 2015 Newsletter. If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us or comment below.
From September 14 to October 4, Parkland Village School is excited to be taking part in the Adopt-a-School-the -Indigo Love Reading Foundation’s Fundraising Program. Adopt a school unites Indigo, Chapters and Coles Stores, the local schools they adopted and their communities to raise money for elementary-school libraries across Canada.
We need your help to make sure Parkland Village School raises enough money for our library. All funds that are raised by P.V.S. will be used to buy new books for our library. If you would like to adopt our school please choose one or more ways you would like to contribute from the 3 steps below. Thank you for your support in helping us expand our library.
To view the poster in your browser click the link. Remember you can click the link everyday! More Clicks=More Money!!!
Running Club is starting! We are excited to have the opportunity for our students to participate. There are two ways that they can participate.
- Participate in daily runs during recess here at the school.
- Participate in off-site cross-country runs.
If you would like your child to participate in the off-site runs please complete the Cross-Country Running Form as soon as possible as the dates are fast approaching. (A hard copy of the form will be sent home as well.)
We are excited to host our first School Council meeting this Wednesday at 6:30 here at the school. We are looking for a few more positions to be filled as well as we are looking for class reps this year. Even if you don’t want a position we would love to have you come out and participate. Hope to see you there!
Our School Council Chairperson has set up Remind 101 as a means of communication pertaining to School Council. If you would like to recieve these information texts just sign up following the instructions below or click this link.
We continue to be excited as we plan for our first year of implementation of MicroSociety during the 2015-2016 school year. We are beginning to look to build powerful partnerships between our school and the community that will have a powerful impact on our students’ lives. If you or someone you know would be interested in partnering with us please click the links below to learn how you can make a difference.
We are also happy to provide a paper partnership package for anyone who is interested. If you have any questions please contact email@example.com.
One of the priorities in Parkland School Division is Engaging Our Community. At Parkland Village School we value parents and community engagement greatly. We strive to continue to grow in making learning, communication and information transparent and easy to access for our parents and community. This is why we have created our school app. The Parkland Village School App collects all of our online content in one place for you to access from your mobile device. Our hope is that this will be one more way for you to stay easily connected, up to date and engaged in the important work that is happening in our school with our students and your children.
- School Blog – View the latest school blog posts in text format. To view full post and embedded media click the title.
- Class Blogs – Access all classroom blogs to see the learning that is happening in our different grades. Engage in the learning by leaving your thoughts and comments on the posts.
- Events – Stay current with upcoming events. Click the specific event for more details and even add the event to your personal calendar if you wish.
- Website – View the website from within the app.
- Social Media – Check out our latest posts on all of our different social media platforms.
- Video – Check out the latest videos that we have shared.
- Hot Lunch – Order Hot Lunch from within the app.
- Book Interview – When parent/teacher interviews are approaching you can book your appointment right from within the app.
- Feedback – Your voice matters. We value your feedback. Share your thoughts, share a positive story or experience, or tell us how we can improve.
Download The App
Our app is available on the following platforms.
- Android – Search Parkland Village School in the Google Play store or click the link.
- Apple – Search Parkland Village School in the Apple App Store or click the link.
- Kindle – Search Parkland Village School in Amazon or click the link.
- Blackberry – Coming soon.
If you would like to make a request to have the app available on any other device please contact the school and submit your request.
Check out our March Newsletter. As always, if you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact us!
Click the link to view the newsletter in your browser.