We have kicked off our Social Studies learning by first studying/ reviewing the map of Canada, by specifically looking at:
-the purpose of maps, how to read maps
-our provinces, territories and capital cities
Next, we will look to the resources present across Canada, such as: water/fishing, soil/farming, trees/lumber, oil. Students will explore how such resources affect our way of life as Canadians.
Before moving forward, we will be having a small “Checking In Quiz” to ensure we know our provinces/territories and capital cities. This quiz will be on Tuesday, September 26th. If students would like to prepare for this, they may access their Google Classroom for helpful online games, and a copy of the Canadian map.
Our Greystone Canteen is now open! Students may visit it during Nutrition Break before heading outside for recess.
Here is a list of the items available: Canteen Menu
Today we visited the Library Learning Commons for the first time.
There we learned:
- how book exchange works: students may take out two books- one novel, one book of choice
- when LC5 is able to visit the Library Learning Commons outside of our weekly schedule: each nutrition break for quiet work or reading, and during one assigned lunch hour for games and fun
- library books may be taken home, but must be returned or renewed every two weeks
- the library space is not only a place for book exchange, it may also be used for playing board games, makers space activities, working with neat technologies and listening to guest speakers
This week in 5R, we have set up the following online resources for students to visit if they have finished learning tasks early or for extra practice at home. (more sites to come)
- Typing Club: a place for students to develop their typing skills
- Prodigy : an engaging math game which is tracked by the teacher
- Google Classroom: Social Studies: Canadian Map Games
Please ask your child to show these sites to you. They may sign into each of them using their google (psdblogs) account.
For student safety, we must always ensure that students are accounted for.
Please notify the office either by phone at 780-962-0357 or by our absence NEW email at firstname.lastname@example.org when your child will be absent or late.
Thursday, September 14, 2017
6:00 BBQ :BBQ is served!
6:45 Welcome to Families in Gym: Families are welcomed to the 2017-2018 school year by our principal
7:00-8:00 Families Head to Classrooms: Families may get to know their child’s homeroom teacher and are shared important information such as communication and classroom routines
The Greystone Centennial Middle School website is a great site to check out for: the school calendar, monthly newsletters, important resources and forms, school expectations, as well as contact information.
Here, is where you will find:
- classroom and school calendar dates and updates
- photos of students engaged in various learning activities
- examples of student work
- Assignment explanations
- Helpful resources