We would like to thank Parkland School Division Safety Officer, Mr. Tofsrud, for coming to our school and talking to us about bus safety. We learned the rules that we need to follow when riding the bus and how to evacuate the bus by using the back door when there is an emergency on the bus. Remember to stop when you see the red flashing lights on the bus so that we get to and from school safely!
Some important topics covered from Mr. Tofsrud’s presentation to Early Years students:
- Walking to the bus and early arrival safety, no playing on the streets
- Looking both ways before crossing the streets
- Standing inline while waiting for the bus
- Respecting others riding the bus
- 10 Foot Danger Zone all around the bus
- Proper seating position on the bus (Seat on the seat – Backs to the seat back – eyes forward)
- Stay seated until bus stops completely
- Nothing out the windows (hands,heads, or garbage)
- Talk quietly while on the bus
- Be kind to others to make an enjoyable ride for everyone.
- Respect the bus operator and listen to their direction
- Window and roof hatch emergency exits
- Proper positioning for Rear Door evacuation
- Complete a rear door evacuation