There have been many questions regarding innovation week. One of our LC 5 teachers, Ms. Ariss wrote an excellent explanation on her blog had allowed us to repost it. You can find the original post here.
Innovation Week at GCMS kicks off tomorrow morning for all students interested in inquiry, project-based, problem-solving and the innovative creation process. We have a unique opportunity at GCMS to implement this incredible week-long program that challenges students to question, investigate, process, create and share in teams on areas of deep interest.
Here is a video from previous Innovation Weeks held at GCMS:
The theme for Innovation Week 5 is “How Do I Learn?” and students will be reflecting on this theme daily via their blogs. This allows for the students to take away a greater understanding of themselves as learners and how sharing their learning while being open to receiving and providing feedback will allow for growth.
Tomorrow morning all interested students will be brought together to submit a proposal based on the following criteria:
- What is your guiding question?
- What is your plan for the project?
- What will you do to prepare for your project? What research or preparation will you need to do? What resources will you access?
- Will you connect with an outside expert? If yes, who will your expert be? How will your expert assist you? How and when will you connect with your expert?
- What will you need to move from the preparation to the action phase for your project? How will you move from research to actually creating your project?
- Materials you will provide
- What will you create as a final product?
- Who is your audience and how will you present your learning?
Following the completion of their proposal, students will be guided by teachers through the Ideation and Prototyping stages. They will use their guiding question that they developed and come up with 100 ideas to help answer that guiding question in a constrained set of time. Students will also need to produce a drawing of their prototype.
Students will have to submit their group proposal based on the above criteria however their projects can centre around any topic, idea or passion they have and would like to explore. Innovation week ties directly with Alberta’s Cross Curricular Competencies. Innovation Week provides our students with opportunities to experience one or more of the following competencies:
- Know how to learn
- Think critically
- Identify and solve complex problems
- Manage information
- Create opportunities
- Demonstrate good communication skills and the ability to work cooperatively with others
Innovation week officially begins the last week before our holiday break from Dec. 15-19th. All participating students will spend that entire week working in teams with teacher and expert guides on their projects. On Friday Dec. 19th, we will host an open Gallery Walk to showcase their projects from 11:00 am – 12:15 pm. We hope to see you there!
Students who will not be participating will continue with alternate learning activities.
If you’d like more information or want to see previous student projects and learning from Innovation Week, please visit Mr. Mclean’s Blog: http://jessepmclean.com/tag/innovation-week/