Ms. L’Hirondelle’s Grade 8 Science students had a blast today racing their hovercrafts they made as they explored the dynamics of air pressure and how it can be applied to mechanical systems. Check out the video!
Reminding you that our next School Council meeting is on November 19, 2012. The meeting is held in room 189 at 7:00 pm.
We encourage all parents to attend. This is a great way to meet other parents and also find out more about the school, contribute and offer feedback. Coffee and timbits will be provided.
We hope to see you there!
Operation Christmas Child is starting up again soon. Collect your boxes and brochures from the school office as of October 15th. Please send the filled boxes (including postage and packing fee) back to your child’s classroom during the week beginning November 5th. The last collection day will November 9th. If you can’t get hold of a Samaritan’s Purse shoe box, please just fill one of your own.
Thank you so much for your help in bringing joy to impoverished children again this year!
We are extremely excited for this new school year as the leadership team at Muir Lake School. We look forward to continuing to build strong relationships with the students, staff and parents of the school community.
We anticipate this year to be an excellent year of continuing to provide a safe, caring and stimulating environment in which students can grow intellectually, emotionally, and socially.
As your educational leaders at Muir Lake School our foundational “BIG ROCKS” or “core values” are:
- Excellence in Academics and Citizenship
Our vision is that we will empower Muir Lake School to become more vibrant, strong, and successful as we celebrate the unique talents and abilities of all learners. Every child learns, every child succeeds.
A couple items to note at the beginning of this school year.
- In an effort to reduce our consumption of paper, we encourage our students and their families to view newsletters and calendars on our school website or here on our school blog. If you haven’t already signed up to receive email notifications when new information is posted to the blog we would encourage you to do so.
- We have created a Muir Lake School YouTube channel! We encourage you to view the photo slideshow (embedded above) that was shown to the students on the first school day during the assembly as a celebration of the leadership demonstrated last year and a challenge to continue to develop leadership this year. Subscribe and stay tuned for future videos!
- Our 1 to 1 technology initiative is moving forward with our learning communities 4 and 9 classes. This initiative is about increasing access to technology for our students to be used when it is the best learning tool available at anytime in the class. We are doing this by encouraging students to bring their own laptops to be used at school. You can read more information about this by clicking on the 1-to-1 Technology in the Classroom category on the sidebar of this blog. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact the office or speak with your child’s teacher.
As your educational leaders, we look forward to collaborating with the staff and parents as we work together on critical thinking, leadership and ethical citizenship, inclusion, and technology integration. We are committed to building a strong partnership between home and school. Please feel free to contact us at the school by telephone 780.963.3535 or email: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to sharing more details with you at our Muir Lake School Council Meeting on Monday, September 17 at 7:00 p.m.
We are off to another great start to the year and are already excited about the fast approaching volleyball season! We are in need of some volunteers to coach or even just to help coach. This is a great way to get involved and help us to have another successful volleyball season for our athletes.
Coaches are needed for both the boys and girls and the Jr. Level (grades 6,7,8) and for the boys at the Sr. Level (grades 8 & 9). Volunteer coaches would be assisted with a staff member as a liaison/supervisor.
If you are interested in volunteering please contact our office and let us know!
Jayna Gottenbos was granted a scholarship from Horizon Stage to attend Artstrek, a summer school for teens that explores the exciting world of theatre and theatre production. Over the course of a week in residence at Red Deer College, Artstrek students discover acting, voice, movement, directing, sound/music, design, creation and collaboration. Jayna’s passion, enthusiasm, and desire for perfection in Theatre were rewarded with recognition from the committee at Horizon Stage. We are proud to have this gifted student represent the school amongst the finest in the province!
Way to go Jayna! Continue reading
Thank-you to all who attended the parent information sessions regarding the 1-to-1 technology initiative that we are piloting in the 2012/2013 school year in the grade 4 and 9 learning community classrooms. We appreciated the interest shown and the great conversation we had at these sessions.
As discussed at these sessions, the 1-to-1 technology initiative is to provide access to a laptop for all of our students in every class to be used as a tool to enhance and extend learning when appropriate. The mission of this initiative is:
“Our students will innovate, collaborate, and be highly motivated about their learning.”
We are very excited to see the positive impact this will have on our students’ learning and the amazing learning opportunities this will create as we continue to move forward with our Technology Innovation Plan. In case you were not able to attend, this 1-to-1 Technology Learning Communities presentation was given at these parent information sessions.
On June 15 Tyler Stamp, a Grade 8 student was awarded first place for his piece of art entitled “More Meat For The Village” at the Aboriginal Days Celebration in Stony Plain. He was prompted to enter the art by close family members and associates, as it demonstrated his heritage with the Cree and his passion for drawing. Tyler was also eager to see how his skills compared to others.
“First place shows I have potential and encourages me to make art part of my career.” Continue reading
We are excited to explore the possibility of piloting a 1-to-1 Technology Learning Initiative in the 2012/2013 school year. This initiative is to have our students learning with access to their own electronic device (chromebook, laptop, etc.) both in the classroom and at home. This 1-to-1 pilot would begin with our grade 9’s and one grade 4 class. Research indicates and we believe that creating a 1-to-1 learning environment will:
- increase student engagement and motivation
- improve academic achievement
- foster creativity and innovation
- increase collaboration and communication among students, staff, and parents
- improve digital literacy skills that will equip students for the future
In preparation for this initiative, we are taking a thoughtful and deliberate approach that includes research, input and feedback, plan development, preparation, implementation and evaluation. Continue reading
Parkland School Division Board of Trustees invites you and another school council member to join us at the Friends of Parkland Reception celebrating School Councils.
When: Tuesday, May 22, 2012
Refreshments: 6:30 pm
Program: 7:00 pm
Where: Centre for Education, 4603 -48 Street, Stony Plain
Contact the Muir Lake School Office for more details and/or if you are interested in attending!